Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Continuation...

An exciting opportunity has recently arisen for me to stay and work in the Dominican Republic for another 4 months! Makarios offers internships to college students during the summer months to assist with the work of the organization while pursuing their field of study. The interns will live in the DR for 2-4 months, fulfill a specialized job description based on their interests/field of study, as well as a project that they propose and carry out during their time with the organization. Makarios has offered to me a role for 4 months this summer to orient the students to life in the Dominican Republic and to assist them in managing their individual project proposals. This is a very exciting opportunity to me, as it fulfills so many personal interests and desires in living abroad, non-profit organizations, project management, and humanitarian initiatives.

Like any good non-profit worker, in order for there to be funds to provide a salary, these funds must be raised from private benefactors, which I will be doing for my work here this summer. I am raising $3500 for my expenses May through August and purchasing a round-trip ticket to/from the DR for the summer months, so if you would be interested/willing to donate airline miles it would be a huge support as well (30,000 miles for one-way ticket on American). Donations can be made via credit card at https://www.firstgiving.com/laurinrennell or by check directly to Makarios at 3267 Bee Caves Rd, Suite 107-71, Austin TX, 78746. I want to thank those whom are supporting me financially in my initial three months here in the Dominican Republic, as you have made so much of this experience and work possible.

I also want to thank those whom are supporting me through other means such as prayers, encouragement, etc. You have created a foundation of support that I have cherished. I will be back in TX & OK in mid-April for a few weeks and would love to meet and catch up with family and friends as much as possible, so please shoot me an email or call if you're around!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

YAY!!! I L-O-V-E that your going to try to stay and spend more time serving those perfect little nugget kids over there!

I have read your blogs, and I'm so proud of you!

Keep it up, servant! God's doing tremendous things in and through you right now. :)

LOVE YOU! -- Jenny

Melissa said...

Laurin - I love what you're doing and am praying for you 100%. It's funny, we've kind of turned into the same person. Give me a call on my cell (email me if you need the number) while you're back in the states. I'd love to talk with you about everything. You're my hero, thanks for all that you do to love like Jesus loved.