Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Return

I'm baaaacckkk :)

Yes, I have returned to the DR for the summer to continue working with Makarios, and specifically with the summer interns. My mom returned with me and stayed for a week to see what my life looks like living in the DR, the people I work with, and to treat us to some vacation time on the beach. It was amazing to be able to "vacation" here, since I've really only just lived here for 3+ months (very different than vacationing, trust me).

My mom made a friend at the school, Toni Pierre, he is a sweet Haitian boy that almost never speaks, and when he does, his primary language is Creole and very little Spanish. Mom connected with Toni, though, and discovered he can write his name and play tic-tac-toe. Maybe it was their common lack of Spanish that brought them together! I think my mom now understands even more how it doesn't always take words to connect with the kids and people here.

We spent the last few days of her visit in Cabarete, lounging on the beach-beds, trying new restaurants, and even drove to a new (to me) beach, Playa Grande, for a day with Kate and Camille. We got a flat tire almost right away, but luckily it was across the street from a small store and pool hall and a handful of men just hanging out. In about 5 min flat, it was fixed...and we even had a marriage proposal for Camille in the process! I'm very much so looking forward to the summer and all the work that's going to be done.

No comments: